Splints and Mouthguards
One of the most common habits that cause wear of the tooth structure nowadays is bruxism. Weather it’s in the form of clenching or grinding the result is usually damaging to various tissues
It contributes to
- Wear of the tooth structure
- Inflammation of the periodontal ligaments which are the ligaments holding the teeth in the bone
- Accelerates bone loss and gingival ( gums ) recession
- Adverse effects on the TMJ ( the joint holding the lower jaw )
- Stiffness in muscles including neck muscles
Avoiding all that harm is usually done through conservative treatment through occlusal splints.
Mouthguards are recommended for protecting teeth when they are at high risk for example contact or fighting sports.